Milestones School Year 2018-19
4th and 5th Grade Program Exceeds Expectations
- Enrolled 39 Students in 4th and 40 in 5th grade
- Partnered with two sucdessful local programs - 4th graders with 4H (Baldwin County UGA Extension Office) and 5th grade with CHAMPS (Baldwin County Sherriff's Department)
- 100% of our Elementary students took the stage for their own musical production - School House Rock, Live!
- Bulldog Buddies Program - partnered our Seniors with our 4th graders in a variety of shared experiences
- Expansion for SY2019-20 will include the addition of two sections of 3rd grade and an additional section of both 4th and 5th grades
Future Bulldogs Program
- This new program debuted in the Fall and allows families to reserve a spot for their child at GMC Prep for any year in the future. Details are available at www.gmcprep.com under the Admissions Tab
- Fall 2019 - all new students (195 total in grades 3rd - 12th) enrolled through the Future Bulldogs program
- 65 Future Bulldogs have already secured a spot in their grade of entry for future years - as far out as 2027
Junior ROTC Program of Accreditation (JPA)
- GMC Prep maintained our status as a JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction by earning 294 out of a possible 300 points - 98% rating and highest ever for GMC Prep
- The formal inspection by Headquarters 5th Brigade consisted of a review of Cadet and Instructor Portfolios and the Unit Report, an in-ranks inspection, a Platoon Drill, a Color Guard, and cadet-led Briefings.
- Continuous Improvement Project - Our Cadets chose to improve Cadet General Military Knowledge as their focus for the project. The cadets developed and implemented a detailed plan to improve Cadet Board scores through a study and testing plan for increasing Cadet Knowledge
- Service Learning Project - Our Cadets collected over 2,300 children's books and travelled to elementary schools in Baldwin and surrounding counties to read stories and distribute the free books to children.
5 State Championships and many other Extra-Curricular Successes
- Literary Team - fifth consecutive GHSA Class A State Title
- Boys Cross Country - third consecutive GHSA Class A State Title, fifth in the past seven years
- Mixed Raider Team - third consecutive State Title
- One Act Play - fourth GHSA Class A State Title in the past six years
- Boys Soccer - first GHSA Class A State Title
- Individual State Titles - 1 in Girls Track, 1 in One Act Play, 5 in Literary
- Team Highlights - Girls Varsity Soccer advanced to State Final Four for the first time. Rifle Team captured fifth consecutive Region Title (making it their sixth in the last seven years), Literary Team captured 8th consecutive area title
- Individual Highlights - Best Ever Finish for an individual Varsity Wrestler placing 3rd in State, National Female Ultimate Raider Title for the 2nd year in a row, Coach James Lunsford (Boys Basketball) reached 800 Win Milestone.
Expanded United Kingdom (UK) International Exchange Program with Royal Hospital School (RHS)
- For the first time, GMC Prep hosted two cadets from RHS. During their month-long visit with us, our guests experienced life as a GMC Prep Student by attending classes each day and were also treated to tours of Milledgeville, Macon, Savannah, Atlanta, and Hilton Head , SC.
- Two GMC Prep students who participated in last year's Exchange program were invited back for the three-month Summer Half Term.
- For the third consecutive year, a group of GMC students (12) and 2 faculty members were hosted by the RHS for 10 days. During the 10 day visit, the group had many wonderful opportunities - a 48 hour military field training exercise embedded with the Combined Cadet Force, an overnight stay on a Royal Navy Battleship, a tour of the HMS Diamond (the UK's Most sophisticated Air Defense Destroyer), and several cultural enrichment visits to sites in London, Colchester, and Portsmouth.
- First year three students from last year's Exchange program were invited back for the five-week Summer Term.
- Planning is underway to host two Female and two Male RHS cadets at GMC in August 2019.
Continued Growth for our High Adventure Leadership Program (HALP)
- Expanded during our second year of the program to include both 6th and 7th graders and females
- Meetings twice a week during the school day along with exciting experiences to supplement their classroom instruction. Experiences and trips included a Council (24 county) camporee, Jamboree on the air (ham radios with international Scout groups, ballistic submarine tours at Kings Bay, orienteering, environmental science training offered by UGA, wild cave exploration, whiewater rafting, and summer camp.
- 4 of the 15 pilot group Scouts have completed all merit badges needed for Eagle Scout and 3 more are close behind. This leaves only community service and leadership experience to complete the highest rank in Scouting. If all seven earn their Eagle badge, GMC Prep's program average will be 10 times better than the national Scouting average.
- These young ladies, the first in our program, are on track to be among the first females in the nation to earn the Eagle Scout rank; one Scout has already achieved First Class and two more are close behind.
- 99% graduation rate for the class of 2019 with one class member slated to complete requirements by mid-July. 93% will enroll in a post-secondary institution in Fall 2019 with 2 student enlisting in the United States Army, 1 student choosing to serve his church through a mission experience before enrolling in college, and 3 students joining the work force.
- 12 members of the Class of 2019 were conferred an Associate's Degree on the same day as their high school graduation.
- During SY18-19, 47% of our Sophomores, 79% of our Juniors, and 67% of our Seniors participated in the Dual Enrollment program with Georgia Military College. These 140 students successfully completed 636 college classes and earned 2942 college quarter credit hours.
- For the first time, a GMC Prep student received Congressional Appointments and Acceptance to 2 different United State Service Academies- United States Air Force Academy and United States Military Academy at West Point.
- Excitement surrounded the experience of observing our new Prep School Annex and renovated Jenkins Hall come to life over the year. These new facilities include 10 classrooms, 2 computer labs, 1 reading room, 1 multipurpose room, a full Art Studio, and a cafeteria with a stage. Projected move-in dates are mid-July for the Annex and early October for Jenkins Hall.
- For the sixth consecutive year, a graduating class established a "Class Of" scholarship to provide tuition assistance for a Prep School student. For the fourth consecutive year, this "Class Of" scholarship was fully endowed prior to graduation. This next school year these Scholarships will assist six students attending GMC Prep.
- In anticipation of GMC Prep's highest enrollment (currently projected at 743 students in grades 3 - 12), seven additional faculty members - 5 in elementary and 2 in high school - were hired to support the education and character development of our sttudents.